The Chapel of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment

Holy Trinity Church Guildford

Memorial Tablets

memorial tablets 

On the north wall are four memorial tablets to officers who served with the Queen’s. Above these tablets are three stained glass windows, the gift of the Regiment to Holy Trinity Church.
They were unveiled and dedicated on the 14th October 1913 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the raising of the Regiment on Putney Heath, 14th October 1661.
The windows depict the Christian soldiers, Saint Alban, Saint Martin and Saint George.

250th anniversary of the raising of the Regiment on Putney Heath

The centre panel and two of the Memorials.

As you enter the Chapel to the left are Memorials to those who died in Burma 1886-1888 and Aden 1867 and 1909.

The Aden Memorial was originally installed in Christ Church. Steamer Point, Aden in 1909 by 1st Bn The Queen’s Royal Regiment. In 1967 on the evacuation of British Troops from the Aden Peninsular it was removed and placed in this Chapel on 4th October 1968.

The 1st Battalion The Queen’s Royal Regiment served in Malaya during the Emergency 1954 - 1957

The Aden Memorial Tablet The Malaya Memorial Tablet The Burma Memorial Tablet


The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regimental Association

Following the amalgamation of The Queen's Royal and The East Surrey Regiments the former Old Comrades' Associations were amalgamated to form The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regimental Association which continues to look after the welfare of its old soldiers and their dependants, Chapels and Memorials.

In addition to the Chapel in Holy Trinity, the Association also gives grants to maintain the Memorials of the Regiment in All Saints Church Kingston (The East Surrey Regiment) and the Chapel and Memorials in the Chapel of The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment in Guildford Cathedral. The Association makes these grants in recognition of the Service and sacrifice of those whose names are inscribed in the Books of Life and on the walls of this Church and Chapel.

« Previous qrsr Back to list