General Sir Kenneth Alexander Howard,
Earl of Effingham GCB


General Sir Kenneth Alexander HowardBorn on 29th November 1767, Kenneth Alexander Howard, 11th Baron Howard of Effingham, had a long and distinguished career of military and public service. As a young regimental officer with The Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards, he fought in the Flanders Campaign of 1793, was wounded in the action at St Amand, then took part in the sieges of Valenciennes and Dunkirk.

Ten years later he became a Divisional Commander under Wellington in the Peninsular Campaign and, amongst his other rewards, was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath.

On the 1st January 1805, he was appointed Aide-de-Camp to the King, and promoted Colonel. On the 25th July 1810, he was promoted to Major General. He joined the army in the Peninsula on the 9th January 1811, and was appointed to the command of a Brigade in the 1st Division, and was present with it at the action at Fuentes d’Onor on the 5th May; he was afterwards transferred with his Brigade to the Second Division, the command of which he held, as senior officer, from July 1811, to April 1812; he commanded the right Column at the action of Arroyo dos Molinos; stormed and took with part of his Brigade the Forts Napoleon and Ragusa at Almaraz. In November 1812, he was appointed to the command of the 1st Brigade of Foot Guards in the First Division, and in June 1813, to the command of the Division, which he held until the end of the Peninsular war in 1814, being present at the Battle of Vittoria, attack on Tolosa, passage of the Bidassoa, Nivelle, Nive and Adour; investment of Bayonne, and repulse of the sortie, besides various minor actions.

Major General Howard received a medal and one clasp for Vittoria and Nive. He was subsequently appointed Lieutenant Governor of Portsmouth, a Knight Companion of the Most Honourable Military Order of the Bath and, on the 24th October 1816, he was appointed by the Prince Regent, in the name, and on behalf, of His Majesty King George III, Colonel of the 70th Regiment.

He was promoted Lieutenant General on 17th March 1820 and was appointed a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

On 30th January 1832 he relinquished the Colonelcy of the 70th Regiment on being removed to the 3rd Regiment, The Buffs.

He died on 13th February 1845.

« Previous qrsr Back to list qrsr Next »