The Militia and Territorial Silver
The East Surrey Sergeants’ Challenge Cup for Shooting
Competed for annually from 1863 by 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Volunteer Battalions of The East Surrey Regiment. Won three years in succession by 3rd VB Bn (later 6th Bn The East Surrey Regiment TA), in 1898, 1899 and 1900 retained.
From 1956 it was awarded annually to the best shot in the Sergeants’ Mess.
It was on display in the regimental museum, Clandon.
3rd Volunteer Battalion The East Surrey Regiment Goblets
There are twenty-four of these lovely Victorian hallmarked sterling silver claret goblets, each with castle motifs and floral cartouches. They were made and presented between 1882 and 1889. Now in use with The London Regiment.
Each goblet bears the inscription “Presented to 3rd Battn East Surrey Regiment”. The list of those presenting the goblets to the officers is shown below:-
By Second Lieut Russell on appointment July 1887.
Editor’s Note: Abbreviations have not been altered from the
On one side of the jug:-
The Jephson Bowl
A silver bowl inscribed “Presented by the Officers 2nd Queen’s Royal Regiment to Major General S W Jephson CB as a memento from them on his retirement from the regiment, in which he served 24th May 1861”. After his death the bowl was bequeathed back to the 2nd Battalion. Following the 2nd Bn The Queen’s Royal Regiment being placed in suspended animation in 1948, it was handed over to The 5th Bn The Queen’s Royal Regiment (TA) “As a token of their admiration for their Territorial comrades”.
A Paschal Lamb
A Paschal Lamb, hallmarked George V sterling silver bearing an inscribed dedication dated 1914. In 1908 after the Territorial Force was formed under Lord Haldane’s Army re-organisation the 4th Battalion had been renumbered and adopted the scarlet uniform of The Line Regiments. Permission was sought for all Territorial battalions to carry Colours. The 4th Bn The Queen’s was the first Territorial unit to be granted this honour, due to a large extent to the efforts of Colonel Sir Frank D Watney CVO CBE TD DL, The Honorary Colonel and Mr Arnold Forster, MP for Croydon and Secretary of State for War. On relinquishing his appointment as Honorary Colonel, Sir Frank Watney presented the silver Paschal Lamb. The original Lamb is in use with The London Regiment.
A replica was made in the 1970s and used by 1st Bn The Queen’s Regiment as The Champion Company Trophy (Kirke's) award. In 1992 this trophy was placed in the regimental museum.