The George Cross
The George Cross was instituted by King George VI in 1940 as a decoration for supreme gallantry not actually on the field of battle.
Primarily a civilian award, comparable to the Armed Forces Victoria Cross, it can nevertheless be awarded to members of the services in certain circumstances.
At the date of its institution it was decreed that winners of the Empire Gallantry Medal still living should have their medals exchanged for the George Cross and it was by means of this proviso that Lance Corporal Henshaw and Private Brooks of The Queen’s Royal Regiment were awarded theirs. In 1971, by further provision of a Royal Warrant, holders of the Albert Medal and Edward Medal became deemed to be holders of the George Cross.
As a decoration the George Cross is worn before all other medals and orders, except the Victoria Cross.
In addition to the gallantry awards to Lance Corporal Henshaw and Private Brooks, the Viceroy of India’s Certificates were awarded to Sergeant Chapple, Lance Corporals Dakin and Gowman and Private Rainsbury. As a collective form of appreciation the 1st Battalion The Queen’s Royal Regiment also received an illuminated message from the Viceroy in recognition of their gallant and devoted conduct.
SOURCES : The Register of The George Cross